Every article on tipping always follows the same formula.
- Step 1: Someone writes about tipping.
- Step 2: A commenter says, “Omg, that’s so ridiculous! We shouldn’t have to tip. WE should pay them a livable wage!!11!”
- Step 3: Another commenter replies, saying, “If you can’t afford to tip, you shouldn’t be eating out!”
- Step 4: Comment section dissolves into a socioeconomic pseudo-intellectual argument on the politics of tipping.
- Step 5: My eyes roll so far into my head I go temporarily blind.
That’s because the subject of “how much to tip” is loaded with strong opinions, cultural values, and passionate debate.
Controversy ✔️Heated debates ✔️ Personal finance ✔️
It’s the perfect IWT topic!
That’s why we decided to poll our readers on the subject of tipping.